Mmmm, potatoes. Now’s the time to select from a wonderful variety at your local farmer’s market! Serves 4
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
¼ cup (65 ml) milk or half and half cream (or less… or more…)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh oregano, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a pot with just enough cold water to cover completely. Add a generous “pinch” of salt (like, a tablespoon), cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to very low and cook for 20 minutes, leaving the lid askew.
- In a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave, heat the cream (or milk) and butter until the butter has melted.
- Drain the potatoes and return to very low heat. Allow a few moments for water evaporation. Add the cream and butter mixture, a little at a time, while mashing with a masher, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the salt and pepper and the oregano (or another herb of choice!).
I don’t necessarily peel my potatoes; it depends on the look and texture you’re doing for. In this case, they’ll look more “refined”, but usually, I prefer a more rustic presentation. And besides, a good amount of the potato’s nutritional value comes from the skin and just below it!!
~ One of Seven